Hello! We’re stoked to make music with like-minded women, welcome! The goal of this 4-week course (Level 2) is to deepen your knowledge of Ableton Live and create a song. 😀 You’ll need to spend at least 3 hours between sessions going over the material, and we recommend that you block this out in your calendar in advance. At the end of the course, one ‘star student’ will receive a box of Ableton merch in the post, woo! 🥳
BEFORE THE COURSE
If you don’t already have Ableton Live, please install the trial version of Ableton Live in advance of the course and make sure it works on your computer. If you have any installation problems, you can check the Installation help page, or contact Ableton support.
The sessions will take place on Zoom. It’s recommended to use either Google Chrome or Firefox as your browser. You can check the instructions and join a test meeting to make sure it works. There is a cool feature in the Zoom Settings – you can change the colour of the reactions to match your skin tone! 😀 Please join 5 – 10 minutes early and use your real name, so we can let you in from the waiting room and ensure a safe classroom.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE SESSIONS
- Your laptop + charger
- A pair of headphones (over-ear headphones are best to block out outside noise)
- A good, stable internet connection (if possible, connect to the router with an ethernet cable rather than WiFi)
The sessions will be easier for you if you have two screens – here are some suggestions:
- If you have two computers, use the more powerful one for Ableton Live and the other for Zoom.
- Use your computer for Ableton Live and a tablet for Zoom.
- Mac: put your computer in extended desktop mode and connect it to your TV. Have Ableton Live on your computer and Zoom on your TV.
- Windows: Connect your computer to your TV and use multiple monitors to have Ableton Live on your computer, and Zoom on your TV.
- If you only have one screen, no worries, you’ll be fine! 😀
One tutor will be available to answer your questions on the Zoom chat throughout each session. It can help if you take a screenshot of your issue and send it to us. If you’re not sure how to take a screenshot, here are the instructions for Mac, and for Windows.
THE FACEBOOK GROUP
Let’s support each other! Please feel free to ask questions / link your work / share tips, tricks, and inspirational videos on our Facebook Page. This is a safe and supportive space 🙂 This is also the perfect place to discuss collaboration, events or meeting up outside the group.
Don’t hesitate to contact us with questions about the course material or course delivery. We can answer quick questions over email, or if you’d like a video call / phone call with Emily, she offers a discount to course participants.
Feel free to ask us any questions via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Week 1: Recording Audio with Live
- Overview of gear & techniques to record good quality audio
- Recording using your laptop microphone (low-fi!)
Week 2: Synthesis & Sampling
- Different types of audio synthesis
- What is sampling?
- Introduction to Live’s Simpler Instrument
- Use Instrument Racks
Week 3: Creative production techniques
- Fun Audio & MIDI Effects
- Use Automation to make changes over time
- Use Audio Effect Racks
Week 4: Arranging & Finishing Your Track
- Tips on song arrangement
- Build-ups and breakdowns
- How to export your track