LEVEL 1 – INTRODUCTION TO ABLETON LIVE
Hello! We’re stoked to make music with like-minded creatives, welcome! The goal of this Level 1 course is to get comfortable with music production, create ideas for your first song, and (optionally) upload your music to Soundcloud. We’ll show you the software step-by-step. If you follow the steps and do the coursework, you’ll know the basics of using Ableton Live and create songs using 2 different workflows.😀 We recommend that you spend time between sessions going over the material, though this is optional. If you attend all the sessions, you’ll also get a free licence for Ableton Live Intro, woohoo! 🥳 Just email us if there is a reason why you have to miss a session. Also, one ‘Star Student’ from each course will receive a package of exciting goodies in the post!
BEFORE THE COURSE
- If you don’t already have Live, please install the trial version of Ableton Live. If you have any installation problems, you can check the Installation help page, or contact Ableton support.
- If you already have Live, you can use your version for the course.
- Please download this Example Live Sets, unzip the file and click on the black icon to open it in Ableton Live. Then you’ll be all set for Week 1:
The sessions will take place on Zoom. It’s recommended to use either Google Chrome or Firefox as your browser. If you haven’t used Zoom before, here’s an easy-to-follow guide. You can also join a test meeting to get comfortable with Zoom and check your audio. There is a cool feature in the Zoom Settings – you can change the colour of the reactions to match your skin tone! 😀 Please join 5 minutes early and use your real name, so we can let you in from the waiting room and ensure a safe classroom.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE SESSIONS
- Your computer + charger
- A pair of headphones (over-ear headphones provide better audio quality and block out outside noise)
- A good, stable internet connection (if possible, connect to the router with an ethernet cable rather than WiFi)
The sessions will be easier for you if you have two screens – here are some suggestions:
- If you have two computers, use the more powerful one for Ableton Live and the other for Zoom.
- Use your computer for Ableton Live and a tablet for Zoom.
- Mac: put your computer in extended desktop mode and connect it to your TV. Have Ableton Live on your computer and Zoom on your TV.
- Windows: Connect your computer to your TV and use multiple monitors to have Ableton Live on your laptop, and Zoom on your TV.
- If you only have one screen, no worries, you’ll be fine! 😀
One tutor will be available to answer your questions on the Zoom chat throughout each session. It can help if you take a screenshot of your issue and send it to us. If you’re not sure how to take a screenshot, here are the instructions for Mac, and for Windows.
THE FACEBOOK GROUP
Let’s support each other! Please feel free to ask questions / link your work / share tips, tricks, and inspirational videos on our Facebook Group. This is a safe and supportive space 🙂 This is also the perfect place to discuss collaboration, events or meeting up outside the group.
Don’t hesitate to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about the course. We can answer quick questions over email, or longer questions during the next course session. Always happy to hear from you!
Week 1: The Session View
- Introduction to the basic functions of Live
- How to program beats
Week 2: MIDI & Live
- Choose Instruments in Live and record melodies / basslines
- Create and edit MIDI clips
Week 3: Using Effects
- Organise your Project with names, colours and groups
- Add Audio Effects
- Play with MIDI Effects
- Key mapping & MIDI mapping
Week 4: The Arrangement View
- Record your ideas from the Session View into the Arrangement View
- Learn more techniques to arrange and edit your clips
- Create a song using Samples from the Browser