LEVEL 1 – INTRODUCTION TO ABLETON LIVE
Hello! We’re stoked to make music with like-minded women, welcome! The goal of this 4-week course (Level 1) is to get comfortable with music production and create ideas for your first song. We’ll show you the software step-by-step. If you follow the steps and do the coursework, you’ll know the basics of producing with Ableton Live and create your first song.😀 We recommend that you spend at least 3 hours between sessions going over the material, though this is optional. You’ll also get a free licence for Ableton Live Intro, woohoo! 🥳 Also, one ‘star student’ will also receive a box of Ableton merch in the post!
BEFORE THE COURSE
In advance of the course, please install the trial version of Ableton Live and open it to make sure it works on your laptop.
If you have any installation problems, you can check the Installation help page, or contact Ableton support.
The sessions will take place on Zoom. It’s recommended to use either Google Chrome or Firefox as your browser. You can check the instructions and join a test meeting to make sure it works. Please join 5 – 10 minutes early and use your real name, so we can let you in from the waiting room and ensure a safe classroom.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE SESSIONS
- Your laptop + charger
- A pair of headphones (over-ear headphones are best to block out outside noise)
- A good, stable internet connection – if possible, connect to the router with an ethernet cable rather than WiFi
The sessions will be easier for you if you have two screens – here are some suggestions:
- If you have two laptops, use the more powerful one for Ableton Live and the other for Zoom.
- Use your laptop for Ableton Live and a tablet for Zoom.
- Mac: put your laptop in extended desktop mode and connect it to your TV. Have Ableton Live on your laptop and Zoom on your TV.
- Windows: Connect your laptop to your TV and use multiple monitors to have Ableton Live on your laptop, and Zoom on your TV.
- If you only have one screen, no worries, you’ll be fine! 😀
One tutor will be available to answer your questions on the Zoom chat throughout each session. It can help if you take a screenshot of your issue and send it to us. If you’re not sure how to take a screenshot, here are the instructions for Mac, and for Windows.
THE FACEBOOK GROUP
Let’s support each other! Please feel free to ask questions / link your work / share tips, tricks, and inspirational videos on our Facebook Page. This is a safe and supportive space 🙂 This is also the perfect place to discuss collaboration, events or meeting up outside the group.
Don’t hesitate to contact us with questions about the course material or course delivery. We can answer quick questions over email, or if you’d like a video call / phone call with Emily, she offers a discount to course participants.
Feel free to ask us any questions via email: email@example.com
Week 1: The Session View
- Introduction to the basic functions of Live
- How to program beats
Week 2: MIDI & Live
- Choose Instruments in Live and record melodies / basslines
- Create and edit MIDI clips
Week 3: Developing Your Ideas
- Organise your Project
- Add Audio Effects
- Play with MIDI Effects
Week 4: The Arrangement View
- Record your ideas from the Session View into the Arrangement View
- Learn more techniques to arrange and edit your clips
- Create a song using Samples from the Browser